Friday, February 22, 2013

In the Beginning

Here are some quotes from the beginning of my career as an elementary school teacher...

August 15, 2012     First Grade
Kid: Why is your name Señorita Black?
Me: What do you mean?
Kid: Why is there a black word in it?
Me: Umm, because that's my last name.
Kid: Oh

August 20, 2012     Third Grade
Me: Who can raise their hand and tell me why it's a good idea to learn Spanish?
Kid: Because you might adopt a kid from Mexico.
Me: Umm, I suppose so. That's honestly the first time I've ever heard that answer.

August 21, 2012     Kindergarten
Girl: Miss Black, have you got something like medicine to help my finger? I been swinging on the swings and it's just a hurtin' real bad.

August 26, 2012     Fourth Grade
Boy: Aw, look! She got a tattoo on her wrist! She 19 and already gots a tattoo!
Me: Honey, I am so not 19.

August 27, 2012     First Grade
Girl: Do we have Spanish today?
Me: Nope, not today.
Girl: Oh, OK. Grass-lass! (I assume she was going for gracias)

August 29, 2012     Third Grade
Kid: Did you change the meaning of that?
Me: Me personally? No, I didn't write Spanish.
Kid: Who did?
Me: I have no idea. People a long time ago.
Kid: Probably the first people ever, like Jesus.

This is one I hear a lot...
Student: Hey, you're my favorite Spanish teacher.
Me: Well I should hope so; I'm your only Spanish teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment