Thursday, August 15, 2013

August 15, 2013

I have to start with a quote that I forgot from yesterday. The first day of school and I'm already forgetting quotes? What the heck? First I have to tell you that my amazing boyfriend (scientific fact: most amazing boyfriend in the world) sent me beautiful flowers for the first day of school.

It was so hectic in the front office that they hadn't had a chance to call me and tell me to come pick them up. Someone told me to go by the office and look on the counter but I had no idea why. So I went on my way to teach first and second grade. I didn't have much time so I just took my pretty flowers with me! Of course the kids thought they were pretty, too.

I was on the way to the second grade classrooms and I passed some other students along the way. One second grade girl had a hilarious reaction when she saw me in the hallway...

Girl: Way to go on the flowers, girl!

Another forgotten quote from yesterday! I was in a third grade class and we were reviewing some words that we'd learned last year and some of the kids were getting excited that they could remember various words...

Boy: I'm novembering everything you taught us last year!

This morning I was in a fourth grade class working on introductions. I got to see one of my favorite students who happens to be a part of the special education program. He has a vivid imagination (perhaps you remember his space station built on a piece of pizza?) and I love talking to him! Many students were having a hard time remembering the words to say so I was prompting them and having them repeat me saying "me, llamo, etc."...

Me: Say me
Boy: Me
Me: Now say llamo
Boy: Llamo
Me: And now say your name!
Boy: And now say your name.
Me: You are so silly!

One first grade girl was very excited when she saw me waiting n her classroom...
Girl: Hey, I know you! What's your name? Everybody, this is the Spanish Lady!

Working on names in the second grade...
Me: If someone asked me "¿Cómo te llamas?" I'd say, "me llamo Señorita Black." If I asked you that question, would you say "me llamo Señorita Black"?
Kids: No!
Me: Why not?
Kids: That's not our name.
Me: Right! So you'd say "me llamo..."
Boy: Señorita D______ (his name)
Me: Actually you wouldn't be a Señorita.
But he insisted introducing himself as a señorita.

I had been warned yesterday about another kindergarten boy who was unsure of his name--he thought it was Junior. I'm happy to report that he does know his own name. He did not introduce himself to me as Junior.

No comments:

Post a Comment