Thursday, August 22, 2013

August 22, 2013

A kindergartener walking into the building this morning...

Girl: My mom says you teach me Spanish today!

As I was walking back to my "office" I saw one of my first graders on her way to the bathroom. I expected her to say hello, but for whatever reason she put her hands up over her head and waved them around like crazy...

Girl: I'M IN FIRST GRADE!
Me: Yea, I know.

One of my fourth grade students was adding some exciting color to his paper...

Boy: These [the blue and red] are police and these [the green and yellow] are bad guys.
Me: The pretzel is a bad guy?
Boy: Yea.
Me: Well, that makes sense. Carbs.


During my kindergarten class, the classroom teacher needed to speak to a student so she called him over to her desk. He walked in front of me, paused, and held out his hand...

Boy: High five?
Me: Well...sure.

Another kindergarten boy had something different to say...

Boy: I'm almost as tall as you.
Me: I know. I'm very short.
Boy: Why?
Me: I don't know. I ask myself that a lot.

I bought myself a very...stylish cart to wheel my things around the school in this year. It's actually intended for scrapbook supplies but it works really well for what I need. It's delightfully tacky and I just started using it yesterday so it's really catching the kids' eyes! A first grade boy was no exception...

Boy: You didn't tell me you got that!
Me: Well you didn't ask.

In my second grade class it sparked a conversation about my lack of a classroom...

Girl: Why don't you have a room?
Me: Well, there aren't enough classrooms in the school. Hopefully when they build onto the school, there will be a room for me.
Girl: You can come in this room. You could go back there in that corner.
Me: Don't you think that would be distracting when I had my other classes in here?
Girl: Well you'd have a door.
Me: Oh, that makes sense. Would all of the big fifth graders fit in there?
Girl: No. You could only have a few of them at a time.
Me: You've got it all figured out.
Girl: You could just build a classroom.
Me: I don't have any money.
Boy: Go get some from the bank.
Me: Yea, they don't just give money away. They expect you to pay them back. What's up with that?
Girl: You can have my money. I have $4.

During my afternoon dismissal duty, a third grade boy grabbed my arm and delivered the following cryptic message...

Boy: Squid's gonna eat your face!
Me: Well thanks, that was super creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment