Monday, September 9, 2013

September 9, 2013

This broccoli is obviously silly.
There weren't too many intriguing quotes today, which works out well because I had class tonight so there isn't much time to be blogging anyway! Several of my quotes came from the same kindergarten class and have accompanying pictures.

In kindergarten we were working on the color verde.

Me: I like how you made your broccoli striped with different shades of green.
Girl: I like to make broccoli silly.
AS: My broccoli is late for school.
Me: He's late for school?
This broccoli is late for school.
AS: Yea! So his mom made him stay home alone because that's what happens.
Boy: My broccoli is a super-hero.

I am wonderful or "wordl" as it is
sometimes spelled.
Another student decided to show me a note she had written on the back of her paper...
Me: What does this say? I see my name there...
Girl: It says Miss Black is wonderful.
Me: Oh, thank you! That's so nice!

I was less than excited about teaching third grade today. The third grade class can be rather...trying. And for whatever reason, Friday's third grade class almost had me in tears. It's not that they did anything particularly terrible, it's just as though everything lined up perfectly and my brain decided that I should almost lose it. But I held it together. Today's class wasn't too bad--even a student who can be particularly, umm, exercising on one's patience...

Boy 1: What's this part mean right here?
Me: Well, it says, "La directora de Squires es _________." What's directora mean?"
Boy 1: Principal.
Me: So, who's the principal of Squires?
Boy 1: Mrs. Adkins!
Boy 2: Do you realize he just shouted out the answer?
Me: All he was doing was answering my question. I was helping him figure it out.
Boy 2: At least when I shout things out I don't shout out answers. I just shout out random words.
Me: I actually don't like when you just shout out random words. That's not particularly helpful.
Boy 2: But I don't shout out answers.
Me: Well, I'm typically against all types of shouting.

The shirt I was wearing today has lace on the top part of it, and I guess it's hard to know how to compliment that when you're a first grade boy...

Boy: I like how your...back.
Me: Thank you.
Boy: And you're pretty!

The final thing I'm going to include is a link to this video I found on Facebook. Apparently Matt Damon's mom is a teacher and he recently spoke at a rally against teachers' job security being based solely on standardized test scores. Afterwards, these people came to interview him and he basically ripped them a new one. And it was awesome, because he is Matt Damon.

No comments:

Post a Comment