Friday, October 11, 2013

Fall Breaking It

I'm on my second day of Fall Break and I've been working non-stop! Between working on things for school and working on homework and other various things for my principal courses I'm one busy little bee. I was more than ready for this break though. And let me tell you, so were the kids! By Wednesday, I swear they had lost their minds!

Leaving a rowdy fourth grade class...

Me: Did y'all take your crazy pills this morning?
Teacher: That's every day in this class.
Girl: I took my medicine today. (I should add that while she said this she was spinning a ruler on a pencil and then she bit the ruler...so I'm not sure what medicine that was.)

I asked my kindergarten class if there was anyone at home they could share the counting song I'd taught them with...

Boy: I have my brother Timmy with a broken leg!
Me: He broke his leg? Oh no, that's terrible!
Boy: Don't worry, they didn't cut it off.
Me: Well that's good to hear. I'm relieved they're no longer doing amputations for broken legs.

In my first grade classes I've been teaching them a song called Cinco Calabazas from a video I found on YouTube. The song is about five pumpkins and each pumpkin has a different emotion.

In our activity, students have to draw faces on blank pumpkins to show each emotion. On my example paper, my calabaza cansada (tired pumpkin) was dreaming so I told students they could make their calabazas dream about something if they wanted to. Apparently they know what pumpkins dream about...

¿Qué Sueñan Las Calabazas?

Boy: They can dream about Christmas!

M: My pumpkin is dreaming about g's.
Me: Like, the letter g?
M: Yup. And m's.

Boy: My pumpkin is dreaming about exercising!

I also got a lot of thank you notes from a first grade class from when I was the Mystery Reader. Naturally there is some amazing artwork that will need to be uploaded ASAP. I promise to get on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment