Wednesday, October 23, 2013

October 23, 2013

I've been going at stuff nonstop lately. It has felt as though I've been working around the clock. However, I have been keeping track of student quotes (some are mine, some are from other teachers)!

During a fourth grade science test on food chains a student approached the teacher and asked...

Girl: Can a hawk eat a snake? Is that even allowed?

While in a second grade class I had to attempt to untie a girl's shoelaces...

Me: Who tied your shoelaces together?
Girl: I did.
Me: How did your shoes get tied together so tightly?
Girl: I don't know.
Me: How did you get down the hall from computer?
Girl: I sort of waddled.

We were lucky enough to have this guy come and speak to the students about polar bears. He takes trips to the arctic and photographs polar bears. It was pretty cool! During the question and answer part of the fourth grade session, one boy had a suggestion for him...

Boy: If you're driving your car in the Arctic, don't get too close to a polar bear because he'll just rip the doors off.

In another second grade class the students were being very noisy when they came into the room...

Me: That's weird...I thought I was in Mrs. Scott's class, but this doesn't sound like Mrs. Scott's class at all. Do you think Mrs. Scott would like it if I told her that I thought her class had been replaced by a noisy class?
Students: No!
Boy: That would be MUY MAL!

Another over-share in kindergarten...

Girl: I have a doctor's appointment because sometimes I cough things up.
Me: Wow. Thanks for sharing that with me.

A classic non sequitur from M regarding the first grade trip to the pumpkin patch...

Before the field trip:
Me: Hey M, have fun at the pump-
M: My scalp is red!
Me: Oh, well...I'm sorry to hear that.
M: It's from that spray paint [at the Fall Carnival].

During the field trip:
M: Mrs. Ramey, it looks like we are in the country. What country is this?
Mrs. Ramey: I feel sure we are still in the United States.

After the field trip:
Me: Did you have fun at the pumpkin patch, M?
M: It wasn't as fun as I'd thought. We didn't get to do the racin' thing. And we was really hopin' on that.
Me: Oh. Well, um...that's too bad. (Also I have no clue what the "racin' thing" is)

While making our Day of the Dead craft in third grade, one boy let me know his true feelings...

Me: That's looking really nice! Do you think you could fill in those white spots there? I think that would make it look even better.
Boy: You are 'zausting! (exhausting)
Me: I know, right?!

I wish I had been there for this moment during a reading recovery session with a first grade girl...

Girl [reading]: He drunk...
Teacher: Don't say drunk, it's drank. Drunk isn't a word.
Girl: Yes it is. Like if you're drunk!

No comments:

Post a Comment