Saturday, October 5, 2013

October 4, 2013

What I look like to one fifth grade girl...

Girl: You look like a Spanish version of Velma [from Scooby Doo] with blonde hair. I'm not saying you're a nerd.

I got to be the "Mystery Reader" for a first grade class today. That means they heard three clues about who would be reading to them and tried to guess who it was, two actually guessed correctly! Here were their clues:

  1. I have a black belt in TaeKwonDo
  2. I've been to 14 countries outside the United States
  3. When I went to school, you only went to kindergarten for half of the day
Anyway, they picked a book about turtles for me to read and there were some interesting comments along the way...
  • I eat turtles
  • I like the smell of skunks
I forgot this conversation a kindergarten girl and I had yesterday about the Spanish word for pink...

Girl: What's the Spanish word for pink again? I forgot.

Me: Rosado.

Girl: That's right. We were at a club last night and we got in a huge fight about how to say pink in Spanish. I was really wrong.

Me: You were at a club?

Girl: It was me, my mom, my dad, my grandma, my aunt, and my boy aunt. That's how many people were at the club.

Second grade has been learning about habitats and yesterday we were talking about the desert. I decided to show them some pictures from my trip to the Sahara Desert...

Me: This is called an oasis, this is where we slept in the desert.

Girl: You stayed at an oasis?! I love oasises!!

Me: That's the most enthusiasm I've ever heard for an oasis.

Naturally the conversation progressed to bugs...

Girl 1: Did you know that in Africa, people eat bugs?

Me: Yes, actually people eat bugs in lots of countries.

Girl 2: Eww! Really?

Girl 1: I've got bugs in my teeth.

Girl 3: My mom has a secret recipe for soup, it's Tabasco sauce and spiders.

A Hispanic student explains her heritage...

Girl: People always think I'm from Mexico, but I'm from Ohio.

Dismissal time with my kindergarteners turned into a shoe tying extravaganza...

Boy: I know how to tie a shoe, you just pull it up and go loop, loop, loop!

Me: Wow, can you show me?

Boy: Well I can't do it.

Poor little AS had a bandaid on his finger...

AS: My skin broke.

Me: Oh no! How did your skin break?

AS: It just broke!

No comments:

Post a Comment