Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Winter Break Has Begun

Here's the thing about being a special area teacher during the holidays and the end of the year. All the classroom teachers are getting presents from their students, but very few specials teachers are. But we teach the entire school! Oh well, I understand it...you can only afford so many gifts, but I still like messing with kids as I see them bringing in presents.

Me: Is that for me?
3rd Grade Boy: No. You ain't my teacher.
Me: I'm your Spanish teacher. I teach the whole school. I should get 575 presents. He should give me a present. And her. And him. And them. Everybody.
Boy: Specials teachers don't get presents. Y'all get money.
Me: What money?
Boy: You know, the money!
Me: You mean we get paid? Your classroom teacher gets paid the same amount as we do.
Boy: Well that's all you need. $17.
Me: $17? Thankfully it's more than that.
Did I mention that I tried to really bring it on
our Ugly Christmas Sweater Day at work?
My outfit was pretty popular.
Boy: Fine. $81.
Me: Nope, still more than that. What I'm saying is, specials teachers get no love.
Boy: I don't love you.
Me: Well I don't love you either.
Boy: Good.

I talked about the various holidays celebrated in Spanish-speaking countries with all of my classes and here's a question that came up in a third grade class after I explained Three Kings Day and the fact that people believe that the Wise Men bring gifts and leave them in your shoes...

Girl 1: I have a question. Who delivers the gifts if the Wise Men are dead?
Me: If they're dead? Wow. That's kind of dark. I have no idea.
Girl 2: Probably some old people.

AS hands out some solid holiday advice...

AS: Mr. Grinch will steal your Christmas tree, your ornaments, and your presents. So be careful.

While there were many reactions to my ugly Christmas ensemble, my favorite was from a fifth grade boy. He looked me up and down, pondered and then said...

Boy: The question is, why?

No comments:

Post a Comment