Monday, February 17, 2014

February 17, 2014 [That's right, school on Presidents' Day]

This is me and a first grade girl named Lillie. Aren't our
matching dresses adorable?
Well folks, we just might be looking at our first five day week in quite some time. The last time the District went to school for a five day week was January 27-31, but I stayed home sick on that Friday. Technically my last five day week was January 13-17! It's been pretty crazy to tell you the truth. Nobody ever knows what day it is, the kids show up and it's like they've forgotten everything they've ever learned in their entire lives (both academic and behavioral). I still don't hate snow days, but I prefer them spread out a bit more. I'm going to try to put the quotes I remember, but I can't make any promises with as wacky as it's been.

Last week the fourth grade sold Valentine Grams for $1. If you bought one, you got a heart note and a sucker to send to anyone in the school (or take it home and give it to a parent or something). The first morning they were for sale, I was coming in from morning duty when I ran into M. She had quite a look on her face! I was going to tell her that I liked her outfit, but she cut me off.

M: Them's a piece of junk!
Me: What?
How did one first grade girl remember Salvador
Dali drawing flowers hatching from eggs?
M: I bought a Valentine Gram and they didn't give me nothing.
Me: Did you put your name on a paper or something? (She is in first grade after all, how do I know she didn't just hand $1 to a random kid and walk away?)
M: Yea. I bought one to take home and give to my aunt. I gave 'em $1 and they didn't give me no candy or nothing.
Me: Well, maybe it's something they bring to you later in the week. I think that's probably how it works.
M: (hesitant pause)...Oh...ok.

We've been learning about famous artists in my primary classes...

1st Grade Girl: How many melting clocks did Salvador Dali make?
1st Grade Boy: Probably 1,000.
Me: That seems like a good estimate.

Sometimes you hear something so strange, you have to cross the room to investigate...

1st Grade Girl: That's what I want to name my daughter.
Me: Did you just say "that's what I want to name my daughter"?
Girl: I didn't mean daughter. I meant dog.
Me: Good.

2nd Grade Boy: Miss Black, this guy is getting zapped into a rhinoceros. No, one of those animals where they say, "Ole" and they run.
Me: A bull?
Boy: Yea. A bull.

Small talk while waiting for the class to join us...

2nd Grade Boy: Hey Miss Black, guess what? So we were in Mrs. Schlarb's class and people were talking about Brayden having to leave and they said it was my fault and then I just started singing, "I came in like a wrecking ball..."
Me: Wait, what?
Boy: We were in Mrs. Schlarb's class and people were talking about Brayden having to leave and they said it was my fault and then I just started singing, "I came in like a wrecking ball..."
Me: I'm still not 100% sure what you're talking about but it's funny.

We illustrated legends from the Inca, Maya, and Aztec in the intermediate grades last week. I got some really good stuff, too!





No comments:

Post a Comment