Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 21, 2013

Another day down and another principal class after school today. Luckily, I didn't forget my list of quotes! Some of these are from previous days, but they're just as amusing now as they were then.

Discussing what third grade students would like to learn about in Spanish class this year...

Me: What did you say? I didn't hear you.
Boy: Cacti.
Me: Cacti? As in the plural of cactus? I suppose that would go along with nature.
Girl: Indian culture.
Me: That would be India.

And what would the fourth graders like to learn?...

Me: Did you say you wanted to learn about Benjamin Franklin? He's the same in Spanish as he is in English. He did all the same things, you just say them in Spanish.

Another benefit of studying Spanish, according to a fifth grader...

Me: Why is it a good idea to study Spanish?
Boy: Maybe if your Spanish is really good then someone will give you $100.
Me: I suppose that could happen. It's never happened to me yet but, you know, fingers crossed!

A fifth grade non sequitur...

Boy: My pencil is stuck in my hair.
Me: Huh. Well, I'm sorry to hear that.

Later, I was joking with this same fifth grade boy. I can't remember exactly what it was about though; something about me wanting to give them lots of boring work because I'm mean...

Boy: You're meaner than Kyle!
Me: What? Meaner than Kyle? How dare you!

It was nice to see that one of my [now] first
grade boys had not lost his love for turning
pictures into spiders (and other things)
over the summer.
My current school is due for a renovation and I do not have a classroom. I have a desk in a portable behind the school (luxurious, I know). Today, before my afternoon classes, the skies opened with a torrential downpour and naturally I didn't have my rain jacket so I simply made a mad dash for the building. I didn't get too wet, but it was obvious I'd been in the rain by the time I arrived to my class of first graders...

Several students: You look like you've been in the rain.
Me: I have been in the rain. You see, I don't have a classroom. I have a desk out in the portable next to the playground. So whenever I come into the building for class, I have to come from outside. Aren't you jealous of my life?
Girl: (After a few seconds of pondering) Not really, because I don't want to get wet.
Me: That's the best thing I've heard all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment