Tuesday, August 27, 2013

August 26 & 27, 2013

I didn't have a chance to write a post yesterday because I was at class until 8:30 having my brain exploded by a nonsensical, last minute assignment that I completely don't understand...hopefully I can get all that cleared up ASAP!

Yesterday in a fifth grade class...

Girl: Miss Black, did you dye the sides of your hair [purple] with Kool-Aid?
Me: No, I did it professionally.
Boy 1: You're a professional hair dresser?
Me: No, I paid someone to do it. That's one of the perks of being a grown-up. You can pay someone to do your hair and you don't have to use Kool-Aid. Plus you can drive.
Boy 2: I can drive.
Me: Legally.

Chatting after school with my smooth talking kindergartener, who I'll call AS...

AS: Miss Black, why you no come to my class today?
Me: Your class didn't have Spanish today.
AS: I saw you in the hall.
Me: Why didn't you come give me a hug and say hi?
AS: You was all the way over there.
Me: You couldn't walk?
AS: My teacher would be mad. We was doing hall stuff.
Me: Oh, so that's not what you do in the hall?
AS: No.

As a first grade class entered their classroom, one boy came up and gave me a hug...

B: Miss Señorita Black!
Me: Hi B! Oh, thank you for the hug! (A few seconds later) You need to sit down now.
Boy: I thought him was a puppet.
Me: You thought he was a puppet?
Boy: Yea, 'cause of how him hugging you. I thought him was a puppet.
Me: Oh...well, nope. He's not.

Listening to kindergarteners explain addition...

Boy: Miss Black, if you have 1 and 2, isn't that 3?
Me: Yes.
Boy: See?
Girl 1: But my granny said that if you have one and then two and...that's four.
Me: Well, look at my fingers. If I have one and then I add two more, I have one, two, three.
Boy: If you have one and one it's two.
Me: Good job.
Girl 1: If you have one and two and then you take away one but then you put it back it's four.
Me: This is intense.
Girl 2: Miss Black, how many is this? (Holds up fingers)
Me: Eight.
Girl 2: Good job!
Me: Well, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment