Wednesday, September 4, 2013

September 4, 2013

It's been a slow week. There was no school Monday, and I had the privilege of sitting at home all day doing homework! And yesterday I'm fairly certain that kids just didn't say anything funny...and if they did, I was too freaking exhausted to notice. I did have one sweet thing happen yesterday.

I felt my phone go off in my pocket and it was a notification from Twitter. One of my students from my high school days is now a sophomore at Lindsay Wilson College and he tweeted:
This is one of the coolest teachers I've had, behind @erinwhitney of course. 

I was so flattered that he remembered me and still thought so highly of me! We tweeted back and forth a bit; it turns out he's studying to be a high school teacher and football coach!

Anyway, on to today's quotes. It was a rather slow day.

I ran into some first grade classes finishing up their recess on my way into the building...

Me: Bonjour.
Boy: You're sad?
Me: What?
Boy: Well you said bonjour and I'm pretty sure that means I'm sad in Spanish.
Me: Actually it means hello in French. So I'm not sad, I'm confused.

Our fourth grade vocabulary is focusing on space (their choice) and today I ran into a rather troubling question...

Boy: Is Mars a real planet?
Me: What do you mean?
Boy: Isn't it an imaginary planet?
Me: Umm, no. It's a real planet. Why wouldn't it be a real planet?

This one I got from another teacher. There's a second grade boy who told us that he was moving, but he was at school today...

Teacher: I thought you were moving? Where are you living now?
Boy: It's near ghetto-town but it's not in the ghetto.

For some reason, kids can't make the connection between teaching Spanish and speaking the language fluently; they're always shocked when they hear me talking with a native speaker. Today in third grade was no exception...

Boy: What were you just saying?
Me: That was Spanish. I am the Spanish teacher.
Boy: You speak Spanish?...but you're white!? How do you know Spanish?
Me: I studied it in school. I feel like we've had this conversation before.

My wrist tattoo was a topic of conversation today...

Kindergarten Girl: Is that a tattoo?
Me: Yes
Girl: My mom knows how to do tattoos. She can do a flower and a heart and a big butterfly. She did them on my aunt. That's her sister.

First Grade Boy: I see you have a tattoo.
Me: Yes.
(Apparently that was all he needed to say)

No comments:

Post a Comment