Friday, April 26, 2013

April 25, 2013

I forgot about this political conversation I had with a first grade boy yesterday. This is not our first political discussion and I am confident that it won't be our last...

Boy: I just gotta get out of Kentucky. The thing is Kentucky is a red state. I just wish it was a blue state. (this is the part where I high-fived him because he's hilarious) See, but there are a lot of Republicans in Kentucky.

Sometimes, it's not so much what the kids say but rather what they do and how I have to respond. For example, I was talking with a kindergarten boy (the infamous "peanut butter jelly time" artist) about a particular page of his food booklet. See if you can spot the sentence I never thought I'd say...

Me: Wow, this looks great. I see that you've put arms and legs on all the foods again...what happened to the chicken?
Boy: He fell down.
Me: Of course. Hey, you haven't drawn these three yet.
Boy: They're in battle.
Me: OK, can you draw me the rest of the food before you add arms and legs to the knife and fork so that they can do battle?

I'm not 100% sure what's happening with the utensils...
Kindergarten girl: Miss Black, come look at my turkey!
Me: Wow, that turkey looks great.
Girl: And look, I drew a dog under the steak and the ham and he's thinking, "Man I want that stuff."
Me: I see that. Nice.

I told M that we would be making maracas in class tomorrow since we were going to learn about a holiday called Cinco de mayo...

M: What's that?
Me: A musical that you hold in your hand and shake and it makes a little noise?
M: That's not Spanish, that's just music.

At dismissal time, there were two students waiting for other students before they left. One was a fifth grade boy and the other was a third grade girl...

Girl: Who you waitin' on?
Boy: My girlfriend.
Girl: Who's your girlfriend?
Boy: So-and-so.
Girl: Ugh. Y'all ain't perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment