Friday, March 1, 2013

More From the High School Vault

Believe it or not, my elementary kids didn't say anything particularly memorable today! I even tried to provide them with awesome set-ups and I got nothing! So I've had to dip into quotes from my high school days.

During the 2010-2011 I had a particularly amusing student in my Spanish 1 class, let's call him "A". He had so many hilarious comments that I couldn't remember all of them...

Me: Well, I'm pretty bright.
A: Sometimes you're not. (I should point out that this kid was not involved in the conversation at all).
Me: Thanks, A.
A: Sometimes you are, and sometimes you aren't.
Kid: That's mean.
A: No one is bright all the time. Sometimes people aren't.
Me: Oh no, you can't change it to people now, you already said ME.
A: Well, we're all sinners. God says so.
Me: This conversation has taken a different turn.

A: You know Miss Black, if the Mexican army had had a flame thrower, they definitely would've beaten the French army.
Me: Well, they did win despite not having a flame thrower. That's why we celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
A: I know. Still...

A: What are you wearing?
Me: A shirt. (See photo)
A: You look like a pilgrim.
Me: Well, that's what I was going for.

Word got out that A used to rate people's swag, so one day 2 boys from another class made a point to come in and have their swag rated...

A: Alright, alright, you're pretty good man. I'd say you get a 9. Aw yea, boy...I'd say you're a 8.
Me: What about me?
A: You don't even know what swag is, Miss Black.
Me: Thanks, A.

Me: We're going to play Jeopardy in order to review for our final. And I do have fabulous prizes for the winning team.
A: Is is spaghetti?
Me: No, A. You always ask for spaghetti. Why would it ever be spaghetti?

A loved ninjas. When his English class was assigned to rewrite a scene from Romeo & Juliet in any style they wanted, no one was surprised when A decided to give his a ninja theme. One day I started to get on him for talking during class, but then I realized that he was reading an excerpt from the balcony scene and I couldn't interrupt that...

A: I wait in the bushes, like a ninja who is silent...

Did I mention that they were going to present and act out their scenes to their English class?...

A: Miss Black, do you want me to teach you how to make a ninja mask out of a t-shirt?
Me: A, I've never wanted anything more in my entire life.
So A quickly made a ninja mask and then stood at the front of the classroom as everyone came in.

I have since taught several people how to make impromtu ninja masks out of t-shirts. Here is a photo of my friend Ben, sporting a t-shirt ninja mask:

No comments:

Post a Comment